Saturday, July 10, 2010

Book Recommendation: Nothing to Envy

I am an avid reader. Especially since trying to cut the fat out of my spending (thus canceling my cable and Netflix accounts), I have been reading nonstop this summer. This book, Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, was recommended by a friend who is very aware that I had no real interest in North Korea, nor any real background of their history. It doesn't even matter. This book is absolutely terrific. I now read up on every article that mentions North Korea in the news, and I feel like the people living there are distant cousins who I desperately want to hear from. It's heartbreaking, but strangely hopeful in the spirit of the defectors interviewed by the author.


Your library should have it. If they don't, get them to order a copy. There is a waiting list to get them at my library. You will not regret it. I know it seems weird to read a book about North Korea. And you don't know me, so maybe this is a big joke. But. It's not. This book is spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment